The iLembe Agri-processing Hubs Project involves the establishment of eight hydropoonic green-houses in each of the four local municipalities in iLembe District.
The Objectives of the project:
To design, erect and commission in each of the local municipalities. hydroponic greenhouses of approximately 2500m2 in size. The vegetables to be grown will include: tomatoes, cucumbers, mixed herbs, peppers and baby vegetables.
The end goal of the project is:
- Produce 1st grade fresh produce.
- Identify suitable markets for the produce
- Supply export quality product to world markets.
- Create a community-ownership structure for the benefit of the community.
- Create at least 15 permanent jobs on each of the sites.
- Build sustainable market linkages, linking producers to export agents or buying agents.
- Develop a pack house and agri-processing facility for value adding.
This project has created 138 direct jobs to date. A techincal partner has been appointed.
Project Funder: Department of Co-operative Governance & Traditional Affairs